Thursday, May 30, 2013

Volunteerism/Feeding Your Soul

I went to a new psychiatrist today.  She seemed very competent.  Aside from the usual conversation about the "med-go-round" we talked about getting involved in something off the farm to "feed my soul".  We discussed possibly working or volunteering as a special education tutor.  That sounds cool, although as soon as I start making commitments like that the stress level goes up as I worry about actually showing up.  Part of the reason I'm on disability in the first place.

The other idea we discussed is a place called "Clover Haven" near my house that provides "Equine Therapy" to special needs young people in our area.  Equine Therapy is the use of horses in a variety of ways to reach cognitively or emotionally disabled young people.  Anything from grooming to riding. 

I don't know much about horses, but  I am used to large animals, and, of course, I am trained and experienced with special needs students.  I think it sounds really cool.  I think I'll make a phone call tomorrow.  It might be something off the farm that "feeds my soul".

No comments:

Post a Comment