Friday, May 10, 2013

structure and routine

One of the lifestyle changes that doctors recommend for those with bipolar disorder is to develop a structure and routine for your day and stick to it.  In my case, the structure and routine of farm life is extremely therapeutic for me.  The first order of business in my day is to get the goats milked.  I milk the goats and my wife milks the cow.  I wake up early and usually milk by 7 am.  Goats need to be milked at the same time every morning and every evening.  Milking usually takes me at least a half an hour.  I not only get to milk, but to spend some time feeding and caring for the animals.  This routine, rain or shine, morning and evening, helps begin and end each day.

A more seasonal routine is the breeding and birthing of goats, cows, and sheep.  The birthing of the new kids, lambs, and calves gets me involved in the incredible cycle of life...and sometimes death.  This year, despite checking on our goat Carrisima hourly all night long, she had one kid that died in birth.  On the other hand, she had one that survived.  Our other goats all kidded successfully.  Our Jersey cow calved successfully a year ago, and   our sheep lambed successfully as well.  Not only do I get to participate in the birthing process of our animals, but our children get to witness it as well.


What a blessing it is to be a part of this incredible miracle.  These routines, both daily and seasonal are all a part of my treatment for bipolar disorder.


No comments:

Post a Comment