Thursday, May 16, 2013

cheese making therapy

Another thing that I do to add structure and discipline to my days is to make cheese.  In Idaho, it was legal for us to sell both raw milk and artisan cheeses.  We can still sell milk in Oregon, despite pretty draconian restrictions.  We are definitely not allowed to sell cheese.  One thing we are thinking of doing is offering cheese making classes or lessons.  I enjoy making cheese and our product is generally excellent.

Making cheese is a relaxing and meditative art.  It also gives a structure and routine to an entire day.  Making a cheese requires attention all day long.  It's not that I'm crazy busy with it all day, but I need to be here watching things develop.  The cheeses need cultures and enzymes added at specific times.  Temperatures need to be watched and raised or lowered at various times throughout the day.  The curds need to be stirred, drained, or pressed.

I've currently got a Guoda, two cheddars, a pepper jack, a Romano, and a Parmesan aging in our "cheese cave."  The cave consists of a wine refrigerator with cutting boards substituted for the wine racks.

There are several great cheese making resources. Two that we use are, "Home Dairy" by Ashley English and "And That's How You Make Cheese" by Shane Sokol

I also believe that enjoying good healthy food is good for managing my bipolar disorder.  In our case at least, that involves drinking raw milk and eating raw milk cheeses.  We make, grow, and raise as much of our own food as possible.  I get the double enjoyment of both making and eating our own farm raised food.

No comments:

Post a Comment