Saturday, May 11, 2013

Lack of structure and routine...

Had a rather hectic day yesterday.  I forgot to take any of my medications until about 8:00 pm.  Not only that, I drank two cups coffee at a 7:00 pm Narcotics Anonymous meeting.

I had a pretty good day despite the forgotten medication.  Kind of pumped up and jazzy (hypomania?), but I  didn't think anything of it. As is always the case with hypomania, it always ends badly.  I did end up taking my medication after the meeting, but by that time it was too late to have a peaceful, relaxing evening and a good night's sleep.

:Instead I feel agitated, sick to my stomach, and wide awake.  Agitation and irritability can all be symptoms of the downside of hypomania.  Trouble with insomnia is a chronic problem for me.  It is made even more problematic because insomnia is both a cause and effect of further bipolar symptoms.

Caffeine is another problem for me.  I had been abstinent from caffeine for 3-4 months and found that living caffeine free resulted in an improvement in some of my bipolar symptoms.  About a week ago, I started drinking a little coffee and tea.  Now, in the grand scheme of things, a few cups of coffee is not the end of the world, but I do notice a difference.

So, as much as I would like to spend my time writing about my successes, there are always setbacks as well.  Tomorrow is a new day.  Hopefully one which involves a more stable routine, attention to detail, and less caffeine.

1 comment: