Friday, May 10, 2013

bipolar disorder

There are lots of different sources for information and descriptions of bipolar disorder.  Certainly your doctor, preferably a psychiatrist or psychologist, will be the most useful source.  If you're just curious, you might check out the wikipedia description. 

Bipolar disorder for me can manifest in a variety of ways.  Major depression, mania, hypomania, rapid cycling, mixed state mania, and in rare instances psychosis.  The psychotic episodes have only occurred when I have simultaneously stopped taking my medication and started drinking alcohol. I also have panic attacks, anxiety attacks, and social phobias.

I'm not going to try  to go into detail, at least not tonight, about what all these states look like for me. Suffice it to say that they can be quite disabling.

What I'm really interested in exploring in this blog is how the combination of professional medical help, recovery and abstinence from addiction, spiritual growth, and lifestyle changes have helped me live with bipolar disorder. I especially want to explore how lifestyle changes have made all the difference in the world.  Even more specifically, I want to relate  how homesteading, small farming, gardening, and animal husbandry have coalesced into a vitally important aspect of my  treatment. 

I feel so incredibly blessed that I have found a way of life that allows me to not only live with bipolar disorder,but to thrive and live happy, joyous, and free.

No comments:

Post a Comment