Thursday, May 9, 2013

Welcome Home

I've had bi-polar disorder for as long as I can remember.  I've also been described as a chronic alcoholic.  The combination of these two conditions has shaped my life.  I've never been able to "beat" these conditions on my own. 

By working the twelve steps of Narcotics Anonymous and meeting attendance, I have had some measure of success in remaining abstinent from booze and drugs.

With  the help of an understanding psychiatrist, medication management, and lifestyle changes, I had some measure of success in surviving the bi-polar disorder.  In fact, I am not only surviving mental illness, I am living an incredibly full and rewarding life.

That is not to say that life is not without significant struggles with both mental illness and substance abuse.  It's just that I have been blessed to have found a way  to live with these conditions.

I have found that the homesteading and small farming lifestyle that I have chosen is both rewarding in it's own right, but also a major component in my treatment of my dual diagnosis mental illness.


2 comments:

  1. I,m so very glad that you survived and get to be a Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. What an incredible blessing it is to be a father.

    ReplyDelete