Sunday, November 3, 2013

New Goals

In the past, I've always had pretty grand goals in life.  Hiking and fly-fishing above the arctic circle, owning a farm, being a fantastic teacher, and many more.  As grandiose as these may seem I've, over time, accomplished them and many more like them.

Therefore, I was taken aback when I recently went to examine what my life goals were at present and couldn't think of any.  How could it be that I had come to have no goals in life?  It all seemed really, really depressing.  I had goals like, find my lost pocket knife, have my stomach feel better, make it through the day as at least a mediocre husband and father.

I brought this dilemma to the attention of some friends and my wife and they kind of got me back on the right track.  It's not that I no longer had goals, it's that the nature of my goals had changed.  I was no longer fixated on the sort of goals I used to have which mostly revolved around satisfying myself, I had a different sort of goal now.

Goals like, staying clean for the long haul, being a fantastic husband, being a fantastic parent, raising these kids up right.  I guess I'd still like to sea kayak in Greece, but that somehow seems less important than it once did. 

I did a brainstorming in my journal last night about it.  I still have lots of big important goals, and many fun and exciting ones too.  I just think my goals must be maturing...finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment